Hearts Overflowing

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Paint...here we come!

Well,  I decided that I wanted to try to start some crafts with Gianna.  I wasn't sure how it would go seeing as she's really into making a mess lately, so I am really into trying to prevent messes from happening.  Therefore, in my head paint was a little scary!

We have done a few painting projects that have been fun.  We started out by doing this Very Hungry Caterpillar project a couple of months ago.

It went okay.  I discovered while doing these first few projects, that it might be a challenge to get her to actually finish the projects we start without it becoming a big painted blob of something unrecognizable.  She put a little paint on the body of the caterpillar and then seemed to be done.  She was more interested in swirling the paint around on the plate than really painting with it.  After a bit of praise and prompting to keep going and ultimately some help from Mommy, the caterpillar was painted!  The next day when I put the eyes and antennae on (I would have let her help put the eyes on, but I had to use hot glue b/c I need to pick up some Elmer's glue) and she could see that it was actually something, she was very impressed and proud of herself!
Gianna very excited about her caterpillar!
Showing her caterpillar to Mommy!




















Our next project was a fall tree that I saw on Pinterest (I thought I pinned it, but guess I didn't, so I am not sure where it is).  You paint their hand and arm to use as the trunk and branches, and then they use their thumbprints/fingerprints as the leaves.  I had to direct Gianna's hand a little bit to help her to use her fingertips to make leaves, but she caught on and did well...for a little while.  All of a sudden she started smearing the paint all over, and then I decided it was time to stop.  I know I have to let her do her own thing, but I kinda want our projects turning out looking somewhat like what they are intended to be.  I'm trying to figure out if finding a middle ground is okay or if I should just let her do it all by herself.


Here is a not so great picture of our tree


Beginning

Due to the fact that Gianna is into smearing paint all over, I thought I would try this that I also found on Pinterest, and let her have full control (well, for the most part).  I gave her the toilet paper tube and showed her how to do it.  She imitated how I did it a few times and then did her own thing, which was fine.  I even decided that this was a good time to let her smear the paint all over herself too!  She had fun!  And it was really cute!




Middle
End



















Next up:  A fun fall pumpkin and our first trip to the zoo!

3 comments:

  1. You are VERY brave Kaitlin! I'm not sure I'm ready to try any of this stuff with little Nathanael yet. But you have cute ideas and I will have to keep some of them in mind when he is more ready! :-) Racheal Kline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute post, Katelin! Keep posting. I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work! Everything at this age is trial and error as far as whether the end product will look decent AND the kid will have fun as well. You win some, you lose some. Just don't be afraid to help her with aspects. I do what you do and model the correct way for her, and if it's not holding her interest we paint "together". If it's really not holding her interest we lose the project entirely because it's still a bit "too old" for her. You can tell she's enjoying it so far though!! She's soo proud of herself! Great job, Gianna! (you too, MOm!)

    ReplyDelete